Food Handler Permit
Tulsa Health Department works to safeguard public health through education on safe food handling practices and the regulation of food service establishments.
Each year, food protection services educates over 30,000 restaurant employees and other food employees on food safety. All local food service employees must have an original, valid Food Handler Permit from THD in their possession while at work. To receive a permit, you must successfully complete a THD Food Safety Class.
Food Protection Services now hosts food handler training classes online for the employee’s convenience on any digital device. From training to testing, this online class is available in eight different languages and can be taken 24/7.
There are limited in-person class opportunities in January 2020 for those who still wish to receive the training in the classroom. Class times are subject to change each month. For questions, call 918-576-6207.
- Mondays: 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 2:00 p.m.
- Thursdays: 9:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m. (waiver test)
- Friday: 9:00 a.m. (Spanish)
- Please note: January office closures: January 1, 2020 (New Year’s Day) and January 20, 2020 (MLK Jr. Day).
Information about in-person classes:
- All in-person classes are held at the Eastgate Metroplex, 14002 E 21st St, Suite 550, Tulsa, OK 74134.
- There is no pre-registration for classes.
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to class time for registration.
- Late arrivals may NOT be admitted once class begins.
- Class length is approximately 2 hours.
- Class fee is $20 and may be paid with cash or credit card. For faster processing, correct change is appreciated.
- Class fee is nonrefundable.
- No personal checks accepted.
- Children under the age of six may not attend.
- Classes are available in English and Spanish.
- Study Guides and exams are available in English, Spanish and Chinese.
Upon passing the test, you will receive a Food Handler Permit. Food Handler Permits must be available at all times while the employee is working. The Health Department inspector will accept screenshots and paper copies. Duplicate original permits can be obtained at the Eastgate Metroplex Training Center for $5. If you completed the course online, you can log-in to your account and reprint at any time for free.
Please note that all in-person classes are held at Eastgate Metroplex Training Center. Taking an internet online training course from a third party does not qualify to get a THD permit. You will still need to pay the $20 fee and take the THD Waiver Test to receive a valid Food Handler Permit. Temporary Permits are no longer available after January 2, 2020.
House Bill 1804 Verification Requirements
House Bill 1804 went into effect on November 1, 2007. As a result, anyone attending a food handler class or applying for a manager's certificate from the Tulsa Health Department must sign a statement that they are either (1) a United States citizen, or (2) a qualified alien under the federal Immigration & Nationality Act and are lawfully present in the United States.
Food Focus Newsletter
Twice a year, Food Protection Services issues a Food Focus Newsletter to established restaurants. Please review the latest editions.