Volunteer Classes Hero

Volunteer Classes

Volunteers need food safety training too, if they are serving food or beverages.

The need for food safety training is important because you must learn how to safely prepare and serve food. Volunteer certification is for volunteer workers who are not receiving pay but must have a permit to work. Certification is available online or in person at James O. Goodwin Health Center (5051 S. 129th E Ave.) at Food Protection Services. 

Online Training 

We now offer the volunteer training course online. The time that it takes to complete the course may vary. Please allow approximately one hour to complete the course. Upon completion of the course, you will be able to print your volunteer permit.  The volunteer permit must be available whenever you work the volunteer event.  There is no cost to complete the training online.

In-person Training

We encourage volunteers to utilize the online training above, but we can arrange to teach a free in-person volunteer class for non-profit organizations who request it. The organization must have 100+ people in attendance to schedule an in-person training. The class lasts approximately one hour and covers basic food safety activities. Cards are presented at the end of the class for attendees and are valid for one calendar year. Cards are non-renewable and the class must be retaken upon expiration. There is no exam required with this class. This is for volunteers only and this card is not valid for employment for pay positions. For more information or to schedule a class, call the Food Training Coordinator at 918-595-4321.

House Bill 1804 Verification Requirements

House Bill 1804 went into effect on November 1, 2007. As a result, anyone attending a food handler class or applying for a manager's certificate from the Tulsa Health Department must sign a statement that they are either (1) a United States citizen, or (2) a qualified alien under the federal Immigration & Nationality Act and are lawfully present in the United States.