Housing Inspections

We inspect existing structures to ensure and enforce certain minimum building standards.

Housing Inspections

Enforcing Safety Standards for Existing Structures

THD inspects existing structures to ensure and enforce certain minimum building standards that must be in place if the structure is occupied or used. These standards, set forth in Title 55 (BOCA Existing Structure Code), include requirements pertaining to sanitation, maintenance, electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems, and more.

THD also responds to complaints pertaining to landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities, as established in the Oklahoma Non-Residential/Residential Landlord and Tenant Acts.

If you have a complaint, question or concern about a structure’s safety or compliance—or about your rights as a landlord or tenant, please click here to complete an online complaint form or call 918-595-4200. We’ll conduct an on-site inspection, if necessary, or refer you to the right course of action. You can also download a Renters Walkthrough Inspection Form here.

Housing 101

Whether you are an apartment manager, leasing agent, landlord or a renter, it’s important to know your rights and responsibilities. Housing 101 is an annual event to teach residents about the minimum safety standards for housing, including electrical, plumbing, mechanical, safe heating sources, occupancy limitations and more. Click here to learn more about these regulations. 

Lead in the Home

Lead-based paint, in good condition, does not present a health hazard. However, paint left in poor repair, chipped, and peeling can be ingested. The presence of lead in people can cause adverse health effects, especially in children. Even low levels of lead can affect learning abilities, behavior, and brain development. Homes and apartments built before 1978 could have paint that contains lead. The International Property Maintenance Code Section 305.7 requires lead based paint greater than .5% must be removed or encapsulated as approved by the code official.

Landlords and home sellers are required to disclose known hazards for lead-based paint. When remodeling a home with lead-based paint, it is important to take proper precautions because renovations can release lead from paint into the air.

Testing for Lead in Paint

If you are concerned, the Tulsa Health Department can test a sample of paint from your home. Bring a sample at least the size of a half dollar or bigger to the environmental lab at 5051 S. 129th E. Ave., Tulsa. The cost is $25. To have children tested for lead, contact your doctor.



Meth Labs

If a house or property is contaminated by a drug lab, contact THD for guidance and information regarding the contaminated property. Only your local health agency can determine if a property has been properly decontaminated. For general questions about drug labs and contaminated properties, please contact us at 918-595-4200 or consult 41 O.S. § 118 (OSCN 2015), Residential Landlord and Tenant Act. To report suspected illegal drug lab activity, contact your local law enforcement agency.